AIADMK govt to construct 2500 houses for Lankan Tamils
Chennai: Amid DMK pitching for the cause of Sri Lankan Tamils, the ruling AIADMK government today stepped up welfare measures by announcing construction of 2,500 durable houses for them at various camps in Tamil Nadu.
Chief Minister Jayalalithaa, who had announced several measures for them in the past, ordered construction of 2,500 durable houses at the rate of Rs one lakh each and earmarked Rs 25 crore for the purpose.
The houses would come up in camps at 14 districts of Combatore, Dindigul, Kanyakumari, Karur, Krishnagiri, Namakkal, Madurai, Pudukkottai, Salem, Sivagangai, Thiruvallur, Tirunelveli, Thiruvanamalai and Villupuram.
"This decision of the government will help the Sri Lankan Tamils who live in camps to lead a new life", an official release said.
Jayalalithaa had earlier announced a slew of welfare measures for them, including scholarship for students pursuing higher education, financial assistance for self-help groups in camps, and extension of Chief Minister`s comprehensive insurance scheme to the refugees.
The Chief Minister had already earmarked Rs 25 crore for improving basic facilities like drinking water facilities in the camps, repairing houses, laying roads, construction of toilets, community halls, libraries, ration shops, kitchens and street-lights.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt
- Congress 'weak' to stop Modi; Rahul 'out of touch' with reality: Hansraj Bhardwaj