AIADMK holds state-wide protests against Centre
Chennai: Ruling AIADMK on Thursday staged state-wide protests against the Centre on many issues, including the Cauvery crisis.
Organised by Anna Thozhirsanga Peravai, the labour wing of the party, protests were held in front of Central government offices across the state including Chennai, Tiruchirappalli and Vellore.
Chief Minister Jayalalithaa had last week announced that her party will stage protests in front of Central government offices on various issues, including hike in diesel price and railway fare and over `denial` of the state`s rights.
In Chennai, the protest was attended by scores of AIADMK leaders including Peravai secretary R Chinnasamy MLA and party`s presidium Chairman E Madhusudhanan among others.
The protestors raised slogans against "DMK-participated" UPA government on issues including Cauvery crisis, demanding that final award of the Cauvery tribunal be notified immediately.
They also demanded rollback of the recent railway fare hike and sought allocation of entire power produced in the state (from Central units) to Tamil Nadu to tide over the power shortage.
Jayalalithaa had last week alleged "the Congress-led UPA Government was bent upon stifling the rights of states dealing a blow to the Federal character enshrined in the Constitution and rejecting the just demands of non-congress ruled states."
She had accused the Centre of maintaining silence on the issue of notifying the Cauvery tribunal`s final award because of political reasons. The DMK, a key ally of UPA, remained a mute spectator for `selfish` motives.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Video of cops dancing with woman goes viral, inquiry ordered
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview