AIADMK holds state-wide protests against Centre
Chennai: Ruling AIADMK on Thursday staged state-wide protests against the Centre on many issues, including the Cauvery crisis.
Organised by Anna Thozhirsanga Peravai, the labour wing of the party, protests were held in front of Central government offices across the state including Chennai, Tiruchirappalli and Vellore.
Chief Minister Jayalalithaa had last week announced that her party will stage protests in front of Central government offices on various issues, including hike in diesel price and railway fare and over `denial` of the state`s rights.
In Chennai, the protest was attended by scores of AIADMK leaders including Peravai secretary R Chinnasamy MLA and party`s presidium Chairman E Madhusudhanan among others.
The protestors raised slogans against "DMK-participated" UPA government on issues including Cauvery crisis, demanding that final award of the Cauvery tribunal be notified immediately.
They also demanded rollback of the recent railway fare hike and sought allocation of entire power produced in the state (from Central units) to Tamil Nadu to tide over the power shortage.
Jayalalithaa had last week alleged "the Congress-led UPA Government was bent upon stifling the rights of states dealing a blow to the Federal character enshrined in the Constitution and rejecting the just demands of non-congress ruled states."
She had accused the Centre of maintaining silence on the issue of notifying the Cauvery tribunal`s final award because of political reasons. The DMK, a key ally of UPA, remained a mute spectator for `selfish` motives.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report