AIADMK holds state-wide protests against Centre
Chennai: Ruling AIADMK on Thursday staged state-wide protests against the Centre on many issues, including the Cauvery crisis.
Organised by Anna Thozhirsanga Peravai, the labour wing of the party, protests were held in front of Central government offices across the state including Chennai, Tiruchirappalli and Vellore.
Chief Minister Jayalalithaa had last week announced that her party will stage protests in front of Central government offices on various issues, including hike in diesel price and railway fare and over `denial` of the state`s rights.
In Chennai, the protest was attended by scores of AIADMK leaders including Peravai secretary R Chinnasamy MLA and party`s presidium Chairman E Madhusudhanan among others.
The protestors raised slogans against "DMK-participated" UPA government on issues including Cauvery crisis, demanding that final award of the Cauvery tribunal be notified immediately.
They also demanded rollback of the recent railway fare hike and sought allocation of entire power produced in the state (from Central units) to Tamil Nadu to tide over the power shortage.
Jayalalithaa had last week alleged "the Congress-led UPA Government was bent upon stifling the rights of states dealing a blow to the Federal character enshrined in the Constitution and rejecting the just demands of non-congress ruled states."
She had accused the Centre of maintaining silence on the issue of notifying the Cauvery tribunal`s final award because of political reasons. The DMK, a key ally of UPA, remained a mute spectator for `selfish` motives.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31