AIADMK MLA Venkataraman sworn in
Chennai: AIADMK leader VNP Venkataraman, who won the Alandur bypoll, was on Tuesday sworn in as the Member of the Tamil Nadu Legislative Assembly.
He was sworn in the presence of Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa and Assembly Speaker P Dhanapal at the Secretariat here.
With the election of Venkataraman, the strength of AIADMK has gone up to 151 in the 234-member Assembly.
The bypoll to Alandur, which was necessitated following resignation of former DMDK MLA Panrutty S Ramachandran, who also quit his party to join the Jayalalithaa-led AIADMK, was held along with the General Elections on April 24.
Venkataraman defeated his DMK rival RS Bharathy by a margin of 18,708 votes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub's wife, sacked
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Exclusive chat with Bajrangi Bhaijaan's Munni aka Harshaali Malhotra
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Mumbai: Woman pushed off from running local train by robbers
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Delhi's graduate beggar – The amount he earns will shock you!
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security