AIADMK MLA Venkataraman sworn in
Chennai: AIADMK leader VNP Venkataraman, who won the Alandur bypoll, was on Tuesday sworn in as the Member of the Tamil Nadu Legislative Assembly.
He was sworn in the presence of Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa and Assembly Speaker P Dhanapal at the Secretariat here.
With the election of Venkataraman, the strength of AIADMK has gone up to 151 in the 234-member Assembly.
The bypoll to Alandur, which was necessitated following resignation of former DMDK MLA Panrutty S Ramachandran, who also quit his party to join the Jayalalithaa-led AIADMK, was held along with the General Elections on April 24.
Venkataraman defeated his DMK rival RS Bharathy by a margin of 18,708 votes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video