AIADMK to go it alone in Lok Sabha polls: Jayalalithaa
Chennai: Slamming the Congress and BJP in Karnataka for being "determined" in denying Cauvery water to Tamil Nadu, AIADMK chief Jayalalithaa on Monday said her party would go it alone in the next Lok Sabha polls and secure all 40 seats in order to assert its rights in Delhi.
Both parties were "united" and "determined" not to give Tamil Nadu its due share of water from Cauvery river, a combative Jayalalithaa said in her address to partymen at the AIADMK general council near here.
"To ensure Tamil Nadu`s rights and prevent (Cauvery) delta regions from turning into a desert, we have to independently fight the coming Lok Sabha polls and win all 40 seats" (39 in Tamil Nadu and one in Puducherry), the Tamil Nadu Chief Minister said, virtually sounding the election bugle.
"We have to work out our path. We can`t be dependent on anyone as such a situation has been created. Some parties may have to depend on national parties like BJP or Congress which lead respective coalitions, but that depends on their situation," she said in an apparent reference to her main rival, the DMK.
But her party was in a situation where it cannot depend on anyone. "We have to decide our future, chalk out our path. We cannot depend on BJP or Congress," she said in an impassioned appeal, observing she had all along in her life taken decisions for herself and not depended on others.
She neither had a family to fall back on and this was not out of choice but it was her "fate," she said.
Hitting out at the Congress and BJP, she recalled that Congress leaders SM Krishna and M Veerappa Moily had accompanied the Karnataka BJP Chief Minister Jagadish Shettar to impress upon the Prime Minister on Karnataka`s reluctance to release water.
Taking a dig at the DMK on the issue, Jayalalithaa said "it is learnt that DMK MPs had during their meeting with the Prime Minister sought not to notify the final award of the Cauvery tribunal," reiterating her earlier similar remarks made in this matter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Osama files show an "Indian brother in Madinah” financed al Qaeda
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly