AIADMK to stage state-wide demos on NLC stake sale issue
Chennai: Upping the ante, AIADMK supremo and Chief Minister Jayalalithaa on Saturday announced her party will stage state-wide agitation on July 2 protesting the Centre`s decision to disinvest five per cent stake in Neyveli Lignite Corporation.
The protests, to be headed by various senior leaders, will condemn the Centre "for trying to cede the profit-making public sector undertaking to private` players, Jayalalithaa said in a statement.
The agitation will also condemn the Centre for not giving a favourable response to her demand that in case it goes ahead with the sale, the shares should be sold to the state government as sought by her, the chief minister said.
The protests will be held outside central government offices in district headquarters, she said.
After slamming the Centre for approving stake dilution in the navaratna PSU, Jayalalithaa had suggested it sell the 5 per cent shares it had proposed to disinvest to state PSUs for preserving the company`s public sector character and resolving workers unions` opposition.
The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs had on June 21 cleared government`s five per cent stake sale in NLC, which would help garner around Rs 466 crore to the ex chequer.
The move has been squarely opposed by almost all parties in the state, including DMK, and Jayalalithaa had twice written to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh against selling of the stake.
NLC trade unions have threatened to strike work from July 3 protesting the decison.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state