AIADMK workers want Jayalalithaa to contest LS polls
Chennai: Amid a `Jaya for PM` chorus in the ruling AIADMK, the party on Saturday said it has received over 1,000 applications from its workers urging that Chief Minister Jayalalithaa contest from their constituency in the 2014 Lok Sabha elections.
After nine days of submitting application forms and receiving the filled-in ones at the party headquarters here, 1175 persons from Tamil Nadu and Puducherry requested that Jayalalithaa, the party`s General Secretary, contest from their respective constituencies.
In all, 4,537 application forms were received from Tamil Nadu and Puducherry, bringing in Rs 11.34 crore, a party release here said.
Recently, the Executive and General Council of the AIADMK had vowed to create a favourable situation for Jayalalithaa to lead the nation, terming her a "qualified" leader to do so.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry