AIADMK workers want Jayalalithaa to contest LS polls
Chennai: Amid a `Jaya for PM` chorus in the ruling AIADMK, the party on Saturday said it has received over 1,000 applications from its workers urging that Chief Minister Jayalalithaa contest from their constituency in the 2014 Lok Sabha elections.
After nine days of submitting application forms and receiving the filled-in ones at the party headquarters here, 1175 persons from Tamil Nadu and Puducherry requested that Jayalalithaa, the party`s General Secretary, contest from their respective constituencies.
In all, 4,537 application forms were received from Tamil Nadu and Puducherry, bringing in Rs 11.34 crore, a party release here said.
Recently, the Executive and General Council of the AIADMK had vowed to create a favourable situation for Jayalalithaa to lead the nation, terming her a "qualified" leader to do so.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan