Air mishap averted at Chennai airport
Chennai: A major air mishap was averted at
Chennai airport on Saturday when a Delhi-bound private airliner
which had been cleared for take-off stopped on the runway just
as an Air India flight was about to land.
Airport authorities have sought explanation from Jet
Airways as to why the aircraft was stopped despite it being
cleared for take-off.
Airport sources said the Delhi-bound Jet Airways plane
was taxiing on the runway at 08:40 hrs when it stopped at the
end moment. At the same time, the Chennai-bound Air India
flight from Delhi was given landing permission by the Air
Traffic Control (ATC).
The ATC noticed that the Jet Airways flight was still on
the runway and quickly alerted the pilot of the AI flight.
The AI plane then hovered around for sometime till the
other aircraft took off, sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- How will the rift in Samajwadi Party affect UP politics?
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees