Alagiri decision on new party in two months
Chennai: DMK president M. Karunanidhi`s eldest son M.K. Alagiri on Monday said he would decide on floating a new party in two months` time.
Speaking to reporters here, Alagiri said he would discuss with his supporters and take a decision.
Jan 24, the DMK temporarily suspended Alagiri for creating confusion in the party ranks and criticising the disciplinary action taken against some colleagues for "anti-party activities".
Alagiri, 63, son of Karunanidhi, 89, is opposed to his brother M.K. Stalin, 61, being elected to the party`s top post.
The Alagiri-Stalin rivalry has plagued the DMK for a long time, and Karunanidhi has managed to keep a fragile peace within the party.
Responding to a query on Alagiri`s plans to launch a new party, Karunanidhi told reporters here: "This meeting is for announcing DMK`s candidates for the general elections. All I can say is that do not ask me unnecessary questions that hurt me."
Prior to his suspension, Alagiri was the DMK`s organising secretary for south zone. The post is still vacant.
DMK officials said the party is under the control of Stalin and Alagiri does not have any major say now after his supporters were also suspended for anti-party activities.
Alagiri has announced he is not seeking election to the Lok Sabha.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- New SC bench to hear 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts convict Yakub Memon's plea on Wednesday