Alagiri gets anticipatory bail in poll official assault case
Madurai: The Madras High Court on Sunday granted
anticipatory bail to Union Minister MK Alagiri in connection
with the alleged assault of an election official and a
videographer at a village in the district.
Justice K Venkataraman granted the bail to the Union
Minister for Chemicals and Fertilisers on condition to appear
before the police for inquiry as and when required.
Azhagiri did not apply for anticipatory bail yesterday
along with city Deputy Mayor PM Mannan and two others, who
were also booked in the case.
The Union Minister was allegedly present when tahsildar M
Kalimuthu, who is the Assistant Returning Officer for Melur
Assembly segment, and a videographer, part of a flying squad,
were allegedly assaulted by DMK activists when they filmed
Alagiri`s visit to a temple in Keelavalavu in Melur taluk on
Friday, police said.
He was booked under various sections of the IPC
including 143 (Unlawful Assembly) and 332 (Voluntarily causing
hurt to deter public servant from doing his duty).
The bail application was taken up for hearing as a
special case despite Sunday being a holiday for the High Court
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof