Alagiri loyalist calls on Karunanidhi
Chennai: In the backdrop of reports of a possible rapprochement between DMK President M Karunanidhi and his son and expelled South Zone Organising Secretary M K Alagiri, a close confidante of the Madurai-based leader called on the party patriarch.
Alagiri aide and Rajya Sabha member K P Ramalingam met Karunanidhi here recently and held discussions for about an hour.
Ramalingam described the meeting as `usual` but expressed the hope that the issue regarding Alagiri, expelled early this year, would be resolved at the earliest.
Asked if there was a possible move for rapprochement between the father and son, Ramalingam told PTI that the party`s welfare was important.
"All in the party look forward to its well-being," he said without divulging further details when asked if the differences could be buried for party unity.
The meeting of the two leaders is significant as Ramalingam is one of the 33 leaders and office-bearers who were issued showcause notice in the wake of the party`s rout in the April 24 Lok Sabha elections by archrival AIADMK.
However, the party had not specifically referred to the status of Ramalingam though former Minister Mullai Vendan was expelled with many others including Thanjavur District Secretary S S Palanimanickam were spared.
In the midst of power struggle in DMK`s first family involving brothers M K Alagiri and M K Stalin, the Madurai leader was expelled early this year for alleged indiscipline and Madurai Urban District unit disbanded with an adhoc committee put in its place by the party high command.
Alagiri, a former union minister, had blamed Stalin for the party`s rout in the polls.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert