Alagiri moves Madras HC against Collector`s notice
Madurai: Union Minister M K Alagiri has moved
the Madras High Court bench here seeking quashing of a notice
issued by the District Collector to him and other members of a
trust seeking explanation on alleged violation of certain
conditions in the construction of the building for an
engineering college run by the trust.
Collector U Sagayam had issued the notice-cum-order to
Alagiri and other members of M K Alagiri Educational Trust
asking them to appear before him on September 16 and explain
how some irrigation channels were blocked for construction of
buildings for Dhaya Engineering College.
Others slapped with the notice include Alagiri`s wife
Kanthi Alagiri and son Dhayanidhi.
The charge against the college was that it had damaged two
sluices and blocked the channels from Karisalkulam tank that
irrigated 330 acres, making them barren.
A resident of Sivarakkottai village where the college is
located alleged that irrigation channels had been encroached
upon. He approached the High Court seeking to protect the
irrigation channel and the tank and also sought for an interim
order restraining Anna University from granting affiliation to
the college during the pendency of the writ petition.
Challenging the order of the Collector on several grounds,
Alagiri said, "The entire action taken against the petitioner
is motivated, biased and based on malafide and political
vendetta against the Board of Trustees.
"Since my wife, my son and I are the Board of Trustees of
the Trust, the officials are trying to create a bad opinion in
the minds of the general public. Also to derive a political
mileage for the ruling party (AIADMK), the officials of Anna
University, Madurai and the district officials are attempting
to defame my name in the minds of the general public".
He submitted that the notice was issued by the District
Collector without following due process of law and hence
should be quashed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, released later
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- DNA: Ground reporting of the deteriorating sanctity of Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- India vs New Zealand, 4th ODI: As it happened...