Alagiri ready for talks with Karunanidhi, wants suspended loyalists back
Chennai: After much acrimony and suspense over his next course of action, suspended DMK leader MK Alagiri Thursday offered an olive branch to the party high command saying he was ready for talks, but with riders.
Asked about the reported possibility of conciliatory talks with the top leadership, the southern strongman told reporters that the suspension of his loyalists should be revoked first.
So far, 10 functionaries, including former Madurai Deputy Mayor PM Mannan belonging to Alagiri camp, have been suspended.
"Not only that, they should look into my complaint on irregularities in intra-party elections," said the DMK chief Karunanidi`s son who celebrated his 63rd birthday today.
Asked whether he would be ready for talks if the party came forward to fulfill these demands, he said, "Yes".
Soon after his suspension, Alagiri had said he would "speak his mind" on "what next" on his birthday after consultations with his supporters.
Karunanidhi had charged that Alagiri had said that party treasurer "M K Stalin would die in three months".
Meanwhile, the birthday celebrations of Alagiri, who turned 63 today, was a complete show of strength. The celebrations that began early in the morning in Madurai saw a steady stream of supporters lining up in front of his house, many from several far-flung towns like Theni and Dindigul.
Party MPs D Napoleon, K P Ramalingam and J K Ritheesh called on Alagiri expressing solidarity.
The temple city was awash with colourful posters and festoons hailing the "hero of justice".
His loyalists gave him a rousing welcome at every important junction which he crossed to reach the Raja Muthiah Mandram Hall where he also gave away welfare aid to indigent persons besides meeting supporters.
Folk artistes staged dances and traditional drums like Tharai were played.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'