Alagiri ready for talks with Karunanidhi, wants suspended loyalists back
Chennai: After much acrimony and suspense over his next course of action, suspended DMK leader MK Alagiri Thursday offered an olive branch to the party high command saying he was ready for talks, but with riders.
Asked about the reported possibility of conciliatory talks with the top leadership, the southern strongman told reporters that the suspension of his loyalists should be revoked first.
So far, 10 functionaries, including former Madurai Deputy Mayor PM Mannan belonging to Alagiri camp, have been suspended.
"Not only that, they should look into my complaint on irregularities in intra-party elections," said the DMK chief Karunanidi`s son who celebrated his 63rd birthday today.
Asked whether he would be ready for talks if the party came forward to fulfill these demands, he said, "Yes".
Soon after his suspension, Alagiri had said he would "speak his mind" on "what next" on his birthday after consultations with his supporters.
Karunanidhi had charged that Alagiri had said that party treasurer "M K Stalin would die in three months".
Meanwhile, the birthday celebrations of Alagiri, who turned 63 today, was a complete show of strength. The celebrations that began early in the morning in Madurai saw a steady stream of supporters lining up in front of his house, many from several far-flung towns like Theni and Dindigul.
Party MPs D Napoleon, K P Ramalingam and J K Ritheesh called on Alagiri expressing solidarity.
The temple city was awash with colourful posters and festoons hailing the "hero of justice".
His loyalists gave him a rousing welcome at every important junction which he crossed to reach the Raja Muthiah Mandram Hall where he also gave away welfare aid to indigent persons besides meeting supporters.
Folk artistes staged dances and traditional drums like Tharai were played.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt