Alagiri supporters throng airport in large numbers
Madurai: Nothwithstanding the suspension of their leader, former DMK Minister MK Alagiri, his supporters on Sunday thronged the airport here in large numbers and gave him a rousing welcome on his arrival to the city.
Posters supporting Alagiri also appeared in various parts of the city, some describing him as "Veeran" (courageous soldier) and some saying "his time would come".
The highlight of the posters was that they carried only pictures of Alagiri.
Later speaking to reporters, Alagiri said he was grateful to his supporters for gathering in such large numbers and that he would celebrate his birthday `as usual`, in which he would distribute welfare assistance to the poor.
MK had on January 24 suspended Alagiri from all party posts and primary membership, telling him his opposition to DMK-DMDK alliance was not going be taken lightly.
Party general secretary K Anbazhagan, who announced the suspension, had charged Alagiri with asking DMK workers not to work, criticising disciplinary action taken against some party members, "directly involving in improper discussions," and thus "creating confusion."
Alagiri`s father, DMK chief M Karunanidhi had replied in the negative when asked if the suspension would affect DMK and its poll prospects in particular, while Stalin had denied any rift with his elder brother and described the action as a party affair.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: PM Modi's 23rd edition of Mann ki Baat
- Vishal Dadlani apologises after tweet on Jain monk backfires
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Guess who? This A-list Bollywood actress can give up career to marry the man she loves
- 'Mann Ki Baat': From praising India's daughters to concern over loss of lives in Kashmir - What all PM Narendra Modi said
- Kashmir unrest: Curfew, restrictions continue for 51st day; businesses suffer losses of Rs 7,500 crore
- US flight from New Orleans to Orlando makes emergency landing after engine fails
- WATCH! Dwayne Bravo bowls last ball of the match to MS Dhoni – This is what happened next