Alagiri supporters throng airport in large numbers
Madurai: Nothwithstanding the suspension of their leader, former DMK Minister MK Alagiri, his supporters on Sunday thronged the airport here in large numbers and gave him a rousing welcome on his arrival to the city.
Posters supporting Alagiri also appeared in various parts of the city, some describing him as "Veeran" (courageous soldier) and some saying "his time would come".
The highlight of the posters was that they carried only pictures of Alagiri.
Later speaking to reporters, Alagiri said he was grateful to his supporters for gathering in such large numbers and that he would celebrate his birthday `as usual`, in which he would distribute welfare assistance to the poor.
MK had on January 24 suspended Alagiri from all party posts and primary membership, telling him his opposition to DMK-DMDK alliance was not going be taken lightly.
Party general secretary K Anbazhagan, who announced the suspension, had charged Alagiri with asking DMK workers not to work, criticising disciplinary action taken against some party members, "directly involving in improper discussions," and thus "creating confusion."
Alagiri`s father, DMK chief M Karunanidhi had replied in the negative when asked if the suspension would affect DMK and its poll prospects in particular, while Stalin had denied any rift with his elder brother and described the action as a party affair.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...