All issues should be debated in Parliament: Pallam Raju
Chennai: Lashing out at Opposition parties for repeatedly stalling Parliament on the coal block allocations, Union Minister MM Pallam Raju on Saturday said issues should be discussed and debated in the House lest people "lose faith in the temple of democracy."
"We are in a democracy and I think for all issues, whatever matters that the opposition may have apprehension on, there is a forum and it is called Parliament. I urge and request the Opposition to ensure that Parliament functions where it (the said issue) can be debated," he said.
Speaking to reporters on the sidelines of a medical university convocation here, Raju said the government had "clear conscience", and was trying its best to give good administration and governance.
"And if the opposition feels that there is some shortcoming that had happened in the past, I think we should ensure the Parliament functions where the issue can be debated... We owe it to the people of India that Parliament runs where healthy debates happen," he said.
People were getting "frustrated", over such repeated disruptions and are "losing faith in the concept of democracy", he said.
On the controversy surrounding the JPC on 2G spectrum allocation scam and its chairman PC Chacko, he said Opposition parties have an apprehension and make accusations that if the chairman is from ruling party, there would be a "tilt" towards that party.
"But if they do have such apprehensions, they have forums (like Parliament) but disruption of and not allowing it to function is not a solution. That is what the opposition should realise," he said.
On BJP`s charge against CBI that it was being misused, Raju insisted that the issue should be raised in Parliament so that there could be scope for improvement but reiterated that stalling proceedings was not the solution.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray