`All rape cases being treated as grave crimes`
Chennai: All rape cases are being treated as "grave crimes" and officials have been asked to "vigorously" pursue pending cases to ensure their logical disposal, City Police Commissioner S George on Saturday said.
Speaking at a coordination meeting between police officers and judicial officers here, he emphasised on the need for speedy investigation and prosecution in crimes against women.
"All cases of rape are being treated as grave crimes and have to be investigated by officers of rank of Assistant Commissioners and reviewed by Deputy Commissioners and Joint Commissioners of police periodically," a city police release quoted him as saying.
He also exhorted officers to vigorously pursue these cases and expedite the trial to ensure logical disposal of cases pending before various courts by conducting trial on a day-to-day basis, it said.
Officers should probe cases of crime against women and children, especially rape, thoroughly with "clinching and scientific evidences and ensure that exemplary punishments are given" to the accused, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31