`All rape cases being treated as grave crimes`
Chennai: All rape cases are being treated as "grave crimes" and officials have been asked to "vigorously" pursue pending cases to ensure their logical disposal, City Police Commissioner S George on Saturday said.
Speaking at a coordination meeting between police officers and judicial officers here, he emphasised on the need for speedy investigation and prosecution in crimes against women.
"All cases of rape are being treated as grave crimes and have to be investigated by officers of rank of Assistant Commissioners and reviewed by Deputy Commissioners and Joint Commissioners of police periodically," a city police release quoted him as saying.
He also exhorted officers to vigorously pursue these cases and expedite the trial to ensure logical disposal of cases pending before various courts by conducting trial on a day-to-day basis, it said.
Officers should probe cases of crime against women and children, especially rape, thoroughly with "clinching and scientific evidences and ensure that exemplary punishments are given" to the accused, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested