`All rape cases being treated as grave crimes`
Chennai: All rape cases are being treated as "grave crimes" and officials have been asked to "vigorously" pursue pending cases to ensure their logical disposal, City Police Commissioner S George on Saturday said.
Speaking at a coordination meeting between police officers and judicial officers here, he emphasised on the need for speedy investigation and prosecution in crimes against women.
"All cases of rape are being treated as grave crimes and have to be investigated by officers of rank of Assistant Commissioners and reviewed by Deputy Commissioners and Joint Commissioners of police periodically," a city police release quoted him as saying.
He also exhorted officers to vigorously pursue these cases and expedite the trial to ensure logical disposal of cases pending before various courts by conducting trial on a day-to-day basis, it said.
Officers should probe cases of crime against women and children, especially rape, thoroughly with "clinching and scientific evidences and ensure that exemplary punishments are given" to the accused, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore
- Ban on internet porn: Here's why it is impossible
- 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' impact: Govt agrees to help deaf-and-dumb Indian girl stranded in Pakistan
- Govt doesn't want you to even watch porn in private, blocks over 800 sites
- Personality check: What is the colour of your eyes?