`All rape cases being treated as grave crimes`
Chennai: All rape cases are being treated as "grave crimes" and officials have been asked to "vigorously" pursue pending cases to ensure their logical disposal, City Police Commissioner S George on Saturday said.
Speaking at a coordination meeting between police officers and judicial officers here, he emphasised on the need for speedy investigation and prosecution in crimes against women.
"All cases of rape are being treated as grave crimes and have to be investigated by officers of rank of Assistant Commissioners and reviewed by Deputy Commissioners and Joint Commissioners of police periodically," a city police release quoted him as saying.
He also exhorted officers to vigorously pursue these cases and expedite the trial to ensure logical disposal of cases pending before various courts by conducting trial on a day-to-day basis, it said.
Officers should probe cases of crime against women and children, especially rape, thoroughly with "clinching and scientific evidences and ensure that exemplary punishments are given" to the accused, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Watch: CM Yogi Adityanath's first speech in UP Assembly house
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- India vs Australia: Virat Kohli takes reconciliatory path, says his friendship comment was 'blown out of proportion'
- Sunil Grover joining AIB? Here’s the truth
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users