`All rape cases being treated as grave crimes`
Chennai: All rape cases are being treated as "grave crimes" and officials have been asked to "vigorously" pursue pending cases to ensure their logical disposal, City Police Commissioner S George on Saturday said.
Speaking at a coordination meeting between police officers and judicial officers here, he emphasised on the need for speedy investigation and prosecution in crimes against women.
"All cases of rape are being treated as grave crimes and have to be investigated by officers of rank of Assistant Commissioners and reviewed by Deputy Commissioners and Joint Commissioners of police periodically," a city police release quoted him as saying.
He also exhorted officers to vigorously pursue these cases and expedite the trial to ensure logical disposal of cases pending before various courts by conducting trial on a day-to-day basis, it said.
Officers should probe cases of crime against women and children, especially rape, thoroughly with "clinching and scientific evidences and ensure that exemplary punishments are given" to the accused, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: Why no action against supporters at JNU?
- Afzal Guru row: Why no action against supporters at JNU?- Part V
- DNA: Analysis on Ishrat Jahan encounter case
- DNA: After JNU, anti-India slogans at Delhi’s Press Club of India
- Headley's revelations: Will politicos who termed Ishrat Jahan 'beti' now apologise?- Part II
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!