‘All steps to be taken to protect Lankan visitors`
New Delhi: India Tuesday assured Sri Lanka that it will continue to take all measures to ensure safety, security and well-being of all Lankan visitors to India.
"We have noted with concern recent incidents involving Sri Lankan citizens, especially monks, in Tamil Nadu.
"The state government of Tamil Nadu has taken immediate action to identify and prosecute the miscreants in respect of the recent incidents," official spokesperson in the Ministry of External Affairs said.
His remarks came at a time when the Lankan government has asked India to ensure security to its nationals and property in the wake of attacks against some Lankan monks in Tamil Nadu.
"The government of India, in consultation with the concerned state governments, has taken and will continue to take all measures to ensure the safety, security and well-being of Sri Lankan visitors to India, including to Tamil Nadu," the spokesperson said in a statement.
On March 16, one Pathberiye Gnanaloka Thero, a Sri Lankan monk and archaeology student, was attacked during a visit to Thanjavur Temple, along with 15 other students under the supervision of the Archaeological Survey of India.
He was rescued and taken to the ASI office where another group protested and shouted slogans. He was evacuated and sent to Trichy under escort.
But, enroute to Trichy, the group`s vehicle came under attack when alleged NTK and MDMK volunteers indulged in stone pelting resulting in minor damage to the vehicle, official sources said.
In another incident on March 18, a Budhist monk, who was leading a pilgrim group from New Delhi, was attacked by persons believed to be from NTK when they had arrived in Chennai Central Railway station.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- Keith Urban celebrates 10th anniversary with Nicole Kidman
- An award must go to Fawad Khan for his hilarious expression while hugging Deepika Padukone!
- Greg Chappell strikes! Former coach claims team took short-cuts, key players selfish
- Make-up earns men's admiration, women's jealousy
- Asha Kumari appointed AICC incharge of Punjab