Allegation of land encroachment against Chidambaram’s wife, son
Chennai: Members of the fishing community here on Monday levelled land encroachment charges against the wife and son of Finance Minister P Chidambaram.
President of South Indian Fishermen Federation Jaya Palayan, who led around 100 persons hailing from Karikkattukuppam fishing hamlet at Muttukadu near here to the Chennai Police Commissioner`s office, said the residents had filed a complaint of land encroachment against Nalini Chidambaram and Karti Chidambaram.
Quoting from the complaint, he alleged that the two had erected compound walls encroaching government land, which subsequently blocked the approach way of fishermen to the sea.
Rejecting the allegations, Arun Natarjan, counsel for Nalini and Karti, said the land was purchased 20 years ago by his clients "who had paid proper stamp duty and all sale deeds in this regard are in tact."
"After the 2004 tsunami, government built houses for the affected fishermen who used the said land for open defecation and the fishermen themselves had thrice demolished the compound erected for my clients` welfare. In fact, a Public Interest Litigation (PIL) was filed in the High Court recently against the open defecation and notices have been issued," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah