Allotment of Stalin`s MLA office building revoked
Chennai: Amidst a walk out by DMK, the Chennai Corporation on Thursday cancelled the allotment of a civic body building to former deputy chief minister MK Stalin for use as his MLA office, a move dubbed by him as `a result of narrow-minded thinking` by ruling AIADMK.
A resolution was passed in the AIADMK-dominated civic body to retrieve the building on the ground that it was meant for educational purposes, but had been converted into an MLA office earlier this year after Stalin won from Kolathur
constituency in the city in the April assembly polls.
Stalin, son of DMK President M Karunanidhi, had then defeated his AIADMK rival and present Chennai Mayor S Duraisamy.
Protesting against the resolution, DMK council members walked out alleging that Stalin was being `targeted` for `doing good work` and that he was a victim of `political animosity.`
Reacting to the development, Stalin said this was a "result of the narrow-minded thinking" of ruling party members following which the resolution was taken up.
"If my services as an MLA are affected, I will set up a table and chair on the kerb in the central part of Kolathur and continue working for the welfare of people," he said in a statement.
He said in the wake of new constituencies coming into being after delimitation, Corporation council in its meeting in June this year passed an unanimous resolution for building MLA offices for five constituencies, including Kolathur.
"Accordingly, a building not used for long had been repaired and allotted to me," he said adding he had been regularly using it to meet the people of his constituency.
The building at Jawahar Nagar was allotted to Stalin after the previous DMK-dominated Corporation Council adopted a resolution to the effect.
However, the AIADMK Government issued an order last month cancelling the allotment of the building, holding that the space was meant for "educational purposes."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read