`Amma Drinking Water`: TN CM to launch scheme to provide mineral water at Rs 10
Chennai: In yet another pro-people welfare measure, Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa will launch a scheme on Sunday to provide mineral water for Rs ten a litre.
The Chief Minister will inaugurate the "Amma Drinking Water" plant at Gummidipoondy in nearby Tiruvallur district, the government said on Saturday.
"Amma Drinking Water will be sold in all long-distance government buses and bus stands in Chennai and other districts," it said.
The launch coincides with the 105th birth anniversary of Dravidian veteran, the late Chief Minister CN Annadurai.
Jayalalithaa had announced the project in June this year to ensure quality and affordable drinking water to the poor and middle class.
She had said production units will be established by state transport corporations which would make available one litre of mineral water packed in bottles at Rs 10 each, ensuring safe water and reducing to some extent the financial burden of the people.
She said the transport corporations would sell a litre of bottled water at Rs 10
This was against Rs 15 charged by the Railways and Rs 20 by private players for bottled water.
Nine more water production units would be established across the state, she had said then.
The mineral water initiative is one of the many pro-poor measures taken by the AIADMK government to provide relief to the people reeling under the spiralling price rise.
`Amma canteens` that serve breakfast, lunch and dinner at subsidised rates and vending outlets selling vegetables at subsidised prices are some pro-people welfare measures already launched by the government.
The government is already providing rice free to ration card holders.
The water will be available in a plastic bottle with the engraved word "Amma" (Mother in Tamil).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey