Anna Hazare movement fully behind anti-nuke protesters: Kejriwal
Kudankulam: Anti-corruption activist and member of disbanded Team Anna, Arvind Kejriwal, on Tuesday said his team fully backed the agitation against Kudankulam Nuclear Power plant.
"I am part of the Anna Hazare movement, part of the movement against corruption. We are fully with you. We stand by you...We are willing to do whatever you want us to do for you," he told the agitators here.
Kejriwal said there was no basis to the authorities` claim that KNPP, an Indo-Russian Joint Venture, employs the latest technology and pointed out that Russia has not built any nuclear plant after the 1986 Chernobyl nuclear disaster.
"Russia has not built any nuclear plant since 1986 after the Chernobyl nuclear disaster. So how can the government claim that KNPP has been built with the latest technology?" he asked.
Kejriwal said standards followed by nuclear power plants stipulated that 70 safety measures be followed "but I was told by people here this has not been complied with in KNPP".
He demanded that all confidential documents regarding the plant be made public.
He urged SP Udayakumar, convenor of People`s Movement Against Nuclear Energy (PMANE), not to surrender, saying this would adversely affect the movement and demanded that authorities withdraw all cases against him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?