Annamalai University vice chancellor suspended
Chennai: Tamil Nadu Governor K Rosiah on Saturday suspended Annamalai University vice-chancellor M Ramanathan following allegations of financial and other irregularities.
In his order, the Governor said a government-appointed Special Audit Team found "financial irregularities, including diversion of funds running to several crore of rupees and misappropriation of funds".
The university`s Senate and Syndicate, to whom the audit report was forwarded, have admitted there have been lapses like diversion of university funds to a hospital, appropriation of Provident Fund and Contributory Pension Fund, on-remittance of pension contribution, lapse in collecting dues,appointments made in excess and excessive fixation of salary, he said.
Such lapses have occurred on account of maladministration and lack of proper control over functioning and as Principal Executive Officer, the VC was responsible for proper functioning of the university.
"It has become necessary to investigate into the matter in detail from all angles and in particular with respect to the working of the institution, persons responsible for the maladministration, persons responsible for the financial irregularities and the role played by you as the Vice-Chancellor/Principal Executive Officer."
The Governor said Ramanathan has been suspended with immediate effect, pending investigations are on and the suspension will remain until further orders.
The government had recently appointed senior IAS officer Shivdas Meena as Administrator of the Chidambaram-based University.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!