Annamalai University vice chancellor suspended
Chennai: Tamil Nadu Governor K Rosiah on Saturday suspended Annamalai University vice-chancellor M Ramanathan following allegations of financial and other irregularities.
In his order, the Governor said a government-appointed Special Audit Team found "financial irregularities, including diversion of funds running to several crore of rupees and misappropriation of funds".
The university`s Senate and Syndicate, to whom the audit report was forwarded, have admitted there have been lapses like diversion of university funds to a hospital, appropriation of Provident Fund and Contributory Pension Fund, on-remittance of pension contribution, lapse in collecting dues,appointments made in excess and excessive fixation of salary, he said.
Such lapses have occurred on account of maladministration and lack of proper control over functioning and as Principal Executive Officer, the VC was responsible for proper functioning of the university.
"It has become necessary to investigate into the matter in detail from all angles and in particular with respect to the working of the institution, persons responsible for the maladministration, persons responsible for the financial irregularities and the role played by you as the Vice-Chancellor/Principal Executive Officer."
The Governor said Ramanathan has been suspended with immediate effect, pending investigations are on and the suspension will remain until further orders.
The government had recently appointed senior IAS officer Shivdas Meena as Administrator of the Chidambaram-based University.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city
- Army orders modern helmets for jawans, can withstand bullets fired from short range