Annamalai University vice chancellor suspended
Chennai: Tamil Nadu Governor K Rosiah on Saturday suspended Annamalai University vice-chancellor M Ramanathan following allegations of financial and other irregularities.
In his order, the Governor said a government-appointed Special Audit Team found "financial irregularities, including diversion of funds running to several crore of rupees and misappropriation of funds".
The university`s Senate and Syndicate, to whom the audit report was forwarded, have admitted there have been lapses like diversion of university funds to a hospital, appropriation of Provident Fund and Contributory Pension Fund, on-remittance of pension contribution, lapse in collecting dues,appointments made in excess and excessive fixation of salary, he said.
Such lapses have occurred on account of maladministration and lack of proper control over functioning and as Principal Executive Officer, the VC was responsible for proper functioning of the university.
"It has become necessary to investigate into the matter in detail from all angles and in particular with respect to the working of the institution, persons responsible for the maladministration, persons responsible for the financial irregularities and the role played by you as the Vice-Chancellor/Principal Executive Officer."
The Governor said Ramanathan has been suspended with immediate effect, pending investigations are on and the suspension will remain until further orders.
The government had recently appointed senior IAS officer Shivdas Meena as Administrator of the Chidambaram-based University.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured