Another acid attack victim succumbs to injuries
Chennai: In a second such instance in about a fortnight, a 20-year-old woman on Sunday succumbed to injuries sustained from an acid attack.
The victim was attacked by one Vijaya Bhaskar following an altercation recently and breathed her last this morning at a government hospital here, relatives and hospital sources said.
The woman, employed with a browsing centre at the suburban Adambakkam, had come under attack last month while she was alone there after Vijayabhaskar splashed acid on her following an altercation.
The accused has already been arrested and lodged in jail, police said.
The victim`s brother Vijay said the family was aware of the relationship between his sister and the accused and had approved their wedding proposal.
However, Vijayabhaskar was doubtful that the family could go back on their decision and therefore was compelling the woman to marry him, he alleged.
On February 12, a 23-year-old B Tech graduate working in a private firm died at a hospital following severe burns she suffered in an acid attack at a bus terminus at Karaikal on November 14 by a construction worker, whose overtures she rejected.
Seven bullets were also recovered from the accused who hails from Saharsa in Bihar, ACP South east Delhi, Ajay Chowdhary said.
The victim and the accused knew each other from the last one to one and half years, Chowdhary said, adding, the families of the victim and the accused also know each other.
The ACP claimed that the accused was caught red-handed by traffic police.
This matter is not related to eve-teasing, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...
- Not Delhi, but Varanasi and Muzaffarpur the most polluted cities in India