Another DMDK MLA calls on Jayalalithaa
Chennai: The dissident ranks in actor- politician Vijaykant`s DMDK rose to seven after its MLA K Pandiarajan today called on Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa, raising speculation of his support to the ruling AIADMK in the June 27 Rajya Sabha biennial election.
The businessman-turned-politician`s meeting with the AIADMK supremo was officially stated for discussing his "constituency related matters", same reason cited by the six other DMDK MLAs when they met Jayalalithaa.
The six MLAs, who had earlier met Jayalalithaa ostensibly to secure development works in their constituencies, have turned rebels functioning as a separate group in the Assembly.
They have distanced themselves from the party line, which was against the AIADMK. DMDK won 29 seats in the 2011 Tamil Nadu Assembly polls in alliance with AIADMK to emerge as the principal opposition, but the ties between the two parties soured later.
Pandiarajan`s meeting with Jayalalithaa assumes significance in the wake of ruling AIADMK`s attempt to garner support for its fifth candidate in the Rajya Sabha elections.
Though AIADMK can win four seats with ease considering its strength of 151 in the 234-member Assembly, Jayalalithaa has chosen to field a fifth candidate, amid reports that it was likely to woo the dissident DMDK MLAs besides smaller allies like MMK and Puthiya Tamizhagam for support.
Thirty-four first preference votes are required for a candidate to be declared elected. Political circles are rife with speculation that DMDK and DMK (23 MLAs) could go in for a consensus candidate though neither of them have announced any decision so far. Pandiarajan later defended his meeting with the Chief Minister.
Observing that his decision was to effectively realise his promises made to the people of his constituency Virudhunagar, he said, "I have complete faith in her (CM) that she would consider my request and fulfil the aspiration of my people. I thank wholeheartedly for her support."
Pandiarajan`s meeting with Jayalalithaa comes within a month after DMDK MLA R Santhi called on her on May 29.
An alumnus of XLRI Jamshedpur, he founded Ma Foi Management Consultants Ltd, a major player in the human resource industry.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?