Another fisherman injured in attack by Lankan navy
Rameswaram: In yet another incident over a
week, a fisherman was injured today when Sri Lankan naval
personnel allegedly attacked three fishing boats from here in
the Palk straits, officials said on Tuesday.
The Lankan navy men allegedly pelted stones damaging the
boats and the fisherman suffered head injuries, fisheries
department officials said.
The fisherman was discharged after treatment at a
hospital, police said.
In two separate incidents over the past nine days, 14
fishermen have been injured and 23 boats damaged when Lankan
Naval personnel allegedly pelted stones at them while they
were fishing near Katchatheevu.
On November 7, Chief Minister Jayalalithaa wrote to Prime
Minister Manmohan Singh expressing concern over the frequent
attacks on fishermen and said India should take a "strong
stand" against Sri Lanka and "convey its serious apprehension
through tough words and action".
She had said the attacks should be viewed as a national
issue and not as an isolated problem of Tamil Nadu.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video