Another privilege issue raised against DMDK MLAs
Chennai: For the second consecutive day, Tamil Nadu Assembly Speaker V Dhanapal on Thursday referred the conduct of five opposition DMDK MLAs to the Privilege Committee for alleged breach of privilege.
Acting on a letter by AIADMK Whip Vaigai Chelvan, the Speaker referred to the Committee an incident involving DMDK MLAs L Venkatesan, P Sampath Kumar, K Nallathambi, VC Chandrakumar and T Suresh Kumar in which they allegedly gave a letter to the Chief Minister`s Office seeking appointment to meet Jayalalithaa.
Chelvan, in his representation, claimed the DMDK MLAs took the media along with them to the CM`s office earlier this week which showed their "cheap politics." Their action affected the privilege of Chief Minister Jayalalithaa and therefore there was prima facie breach of privilege, he said.
Under relevant rules, Dhanapal referred the matter to the Privileges Committee.
On another representation by CK Tamilarasan (AIADMK), the Speaker once again referred to the Committee the incident in which five other DMDK MLAs gave a letter to him seeking an appointment with Jayalalithaa to discuss constituency-related issues, under pretext of which four dissident MLAs of the party had called on her last week.
He had already referred the matter to the Committee and the DMDK MLAs involved in this matter including its Whip VC Chandirakumar, S Senthilkumar, R Santhi, R Arulselvan and Murugesan.
Meanwhile, DMDK members staged a walk-out after the Speaker denied them permission to raise a particular issue.
However, the four dissident MLAs -- R Sundararjan, K Tamil Azhagan, C Michael Rayappan and Arun Pandian -- remained in their seats.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi