Another privilege issue raised against DMDK MLAs
Chennai: For the second consecutive day, Tamil Nadu Assembly Speaker V Dhanapal on Thursday referred the conduct of five opposition DMDK MLAs to the Privilege Committee for alleged breach of privilege.
Acting on a letter by AIADMK Whip Vaigai Chelvan, the Speaker referred to the Committee an incident involving DMDK MLAs L Venkatesan, P Sampath Kumar, K Nallathambi, VC Chandrakumar and T Suresh Kumar in which they allegedly gave a letter to the Chief Minister`s Office seeking appointment to meet Jayalalithaa.
Chelvan, in his representation, claimed the DMDK MLAs took the media along with them to the CM`s office earlier this week which showed their "cheap politics." Their action affected the privilege of Chief Minister Jayalalithaa and therefore there was prima facie breach of privilege, he said.
Under relevant rules, Dhanapal referred the matter to the Privileges Committee.
On another representation by CK Tamilarasan (AIADMK), the Speaker once again referred to the Committee the incident in which five other DMDK MLAs gave a letter to him seeking an appointment with Jayalalithaa to discuss constituency-related issues, under pretext of which four dissident MLAs of the party had called on her last week.
He had already referred the matter to the Committee and the DMDK MLAs involved in this matter including its Whip VC Chandirakumar, S Senthilkumar, R Santhi, R Arulselvan and Murugesan.
Meanwhile, DMDK members staged a walk-out after the Speaker denied them permission to raise a particular issue.
However, the four dissident MLAs -- R Sundararjan, K Tamil Azhagan, C Michael Rayappan and Arun Pandian -- remained in their seats.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- News reporter Hemant Yadav shot by unidentified bikers
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?