Another privilege issue raised against DMDK MLAs
Chennai: For the second consecutive day, Tamil Nadu Assembly Speaker V Dhanapal on Thursday referred the conduct of five opposition DMDK MLAs to the Privilege Committee for alleged breach of privilege.
Acting on a letter by AIADMK Whip Vaigai Chelvan, the Speaker referred to the Committee an incident involving DMDK MLAs L Venkatesan, P Sampath Kumar, K Nallathambi, VC Chandrakumar and T Suresh Kumar in which they allegedly gave a letter to the Chief Minister`s Office seeking appointment to meet Jayalalithaa.
Chelvan, in his representation, claimed the DMDK MLAs took the media along with them to the CM`s office earlier this week which showed their "cheap politics." Their action affected the privilege of Chief Minister Jayalalithaa and therefore there was prima facie breach of privilege, he said.
Under relevant rules, Dhanapal referred the matter to the Privileges Committee.
On another representation by CK Tamilarasan (AIADMK), the Speaker once again referred to the Committee the incident in which five other DMDK MLAs gave a letter to him seeking an appointment with Jayalalithaa to discuss constituency-related issues, under pretext of which four dissident MLAs of the party had called on her last week.
He had already referred the matter to the Committee and the DMDK MLAs involved in this matter including its Whip VC Chandirakumar, S Senthilkumar, R Santhi, R Arulselvan and Murugesan.
Meanwhile, DMDK members staged a walk-out after the Speaker denied them permission to raise a particular issue.
However, the four dissident MLAs -- R Sundararjan, K Tamil Azhagan, C Michael Rayappan and Arun Pandian -- remained in their seats.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Kerala Plus Two Results 2015 on keralaresults.nic.in
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset