Anti-KNPP activists continue fast
Kudankulam (TN): Police and paramilitary
personnel maintained strict vigil as tension prevailed at
Idinthakarai, the epicentre of the stir against Kudankulam
nuclear power plant, with anti-nuclear agitators continuing
their indefinite fast on Wednesday protesting the state Cabinet`s
decision to go ahead with the project.
Police and paramilitary personnel were deployed in
strength in areas around here as security has been stepped up
after Chief Minister Jayalalithaa announced the Cabinet`s
decision to go ahead with the project on Monday.
Criticising the police action, including arrest of 10
activists, SP Udayakumar, convener of the People`s Movement
Against Nuclear Energy, spearheading the stir and observing
the fast, said they were all prepared to be arrested.
"If police want to arrest us, let them arrest all of us
here. All of us here are overstepping the law, so let them
arrest all of us. It is not appropriate to arrest one or two
of us. We are all prepared to be arrested," he told reporters.
Officials denied reports that supply of milk and
vegetables to some villages in the area had been stopped.
Media personnel were stopped from venturing into
Idinthakarai earlier in the day, but were later allowed.
Work at the Kudankulam nuclear plant was at a standstill
following eight month-long protests by locals spearheaded by
After the state Cabinet gave its nod on Monday, work at
the Indo-Russian nuclear project started in full swing with
officials expressing hope that the first unit would be
commissioned "as soon as possible".
Prohibitory orders imposed in the area since Monday are
still in force and over 32 battalions of Tamil Nadu Special
Police, four companies of Rapid Action Force of the Central
Industrial Security Force deployed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days