Anti-KNPP activists hold mock funeral
Koodankulam: Activists protesting against
the nuclear power plant staged a mock funeral of the
controversial project `cremating` its model here on Monday.
Thousands of residents of this coastal village took part in
the `funeral procession` organised to coincide with Mahatma
Gandhi`s death anniversary and cremated the model of the
Leader of the People`s Movement Against Nuclear Energy S P
Udhayakumar, who led the procession, said it was the Congress
under the leadership of Gandhi that got freedom for the
country. Now it was the same party that was `trying to
mortgage` the country to foreign powers, he charged.
PMANE activists wailed and beat their chest, paradoxically,
to mourn the death of nuclear power plant. Three persons, who
performed the `cremation, later took bath, as was done in any
death ceremony and had their head tonsured.
PMANE convenor Pushparayan also participated in the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- 14-year-old pregnant rape survivor allowed abortion by Supreme Court
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!