Anti-KNPP activists hold mock funeral
Koodankulam (TN): Activists protesting against
the nuclear power plant staged a mock funeral of the
controversial project `cremating` its model here on Monday.
Thousands of residents of this coastal village took part in
the `funeral procession` organised to coincide with Mahathma
Gandhi`s death anniversary and cremated the model of the
Leader of the People`s Movement Against Nuclear Energy S P
Udhayakumar, who led the procession, said it was the Congress
under the leadership of Gandhi that got freedom for the
country. Now it was the same party that was `trying to
mortgage` the country to foreign powers, he charged.
PMANE activists wailed and beat their chest, paradoxically,
to mourn the death of nuclear power plant. Three persons, who
performed the `cremation, later took bath, as was done in any
death ceremony and had their head tonsured.
PMANE Convenor Pushparayan also participated in the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Nuke-armed Pakistan can 'target' Delhi in 5 minutes, claims AQ Khan
- Gorilla shot dead after child falls into enclosure at Cincinnati Zoo!
- Are increasing attacks on African students racial in nature?
- Are increasing attacks on African students racial in nature? - Part II
- Uganda switches sides, dumping North Korea for South
- Indian Premier League 2016: Did David Warner deserve Most Valuable Player award more than Virat Kohli?
- Suicide bombings in Baghdad: Over 20 killed, 50 injured in series of attacks
- Know why PM Narendra Modi is asking for your support for particular task - WATCH
- Nepali Congress halts House over ''budget leak''