`Anti-KNPP protestors received foreign funds`
Chennai: A special Home Ministry team has found that some organisations involved in the protests against the Koodankulam Nuclear Power Plant had received funds to the tune of over Rs 55 crore from "foreign sources," Union Minister V Narayanasamy said on Wednesday.
"The special team from the Union Home Ministry visited the
areas around Koodankulam and checked the accounts of some
organisations, which were involved in the Koodankulam
protests. It found that money to the tune of Rs 54 crore for
two oganisations and Rs 1.5 crore for another organisation
have been received," he told a news agency.
"Some of the NGOs received the money from foreign sources," the Minister of State in the PMO, said without elaborating.
Asked whether the money was used to further the anti-nuclear stir, he said, "The team has submitted the report to the Home Minister. Only after studying it, can we come to a conclusion".
Protests by locals raising concerns over the safety of the
plant have delayed the commissiong work of unit 1 of the
Koodankulam Nuclear Power Plant, which was scheduled for
The Centre`s efforts to allay fears through an expert group
have failed even after three rounds of talks with the
The fourth round of talks between the central expert group
and the state panel consisting representatives of protestors
is scheduled for January 31 in Tirunelveli.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents