`Anti-KNPP protestors received foreign funds`
Chennai: A special Home Ministry team has found that some organisations involved in the protests against the Koodankulam Nuclear Power Plant had received funds to the tune of over Rs 55 crore from "foreign sources," Union Minister V Narayanasamy said on Wednesday.
"The special team from the Union Home Ministry visited the
areas around Koodankulam and checked the accounts of some
organisations, which were involved in the Koodankulam
protests. It found that money to the tune of Rs 54 crore for
two oganisations and Rs 1.5 crore for another organisation
have been received," he told a news agency.
"Some of the NGOs received the money from foreign sources," the Minister of State in the PMO, said without elaborating.
Asked whether the money was used to further the anti-nuclear stir, he said, "The team has submitted the report to the Home Minister. Only after studying it, can we come to a conclusion".
Protests by locals raising concerns over the safety of the
plant have delayed the commissiong work of unit 1 of the
Koodankulam Nuclear Power Plant, which was scheduled for
The Centre`s efforts to allay fears through an expert group
have failed even after three rounds of talks with the
The fourth round of talks between the central expert group
and the state panel consisting representatives of protestors
is scheduled for January 31 in Tirunelveli.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena was Indrani’s daughter from her previous marriage, not sister
- How justified is the violence in Gujarat over quota row?-Part 2
- Gujarat quota stir: Exclusive interview with Hardik Patel
- Gujarat quota stir: PM Modi appeals for peace
- Sheena Bora murder mystery: Eight questions which need to be answered
- I know why Indrani Mukherjea murdered my sister Sheena: Mikhail Bora
- Sheena Bora murder case: All that we know about Indrani Mukherjea
- Pregnant teen buried alive, wakes up in coffin
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukherjea's former husband, Sanjeev Khanna, arrested by Mumbai Police
- 3rd Test: India vs Sri Lanka 2015 - Preview