Anti-KNPP protests spread to Chennai
Chennai: The protests against the Kudankulam Nuclear Power Project Tuesday spread to Chennai with members of various parties and outfits being arrested for staging road blockade in various parts of the city.
Viduthalai Chiruthaigal Katchi founder and Lok Sabha MP Thol Thirumavalavan and MDMK leader Mallai Sathya were among the scores of agitators who were arrested for staging road-blocks in different parts of the city, police said, adding smaller outfits like MMK also staged protest.
The protestors condemned yesterday`s police firing in Tutircorin district where a fisherman was killed and opposed loading of uranium fuel at the nuclear plant in Tirunelveli district.
The anti-nuclear protests had taken a violent turn yesterday with protestors clashing with police, resulting in lathi-charge and firing of tear-gas shells by police at Idinthakarai in Tirunelveli district and firing at Tuticorin.
Chief Minister Jayalalithaa had appealed for calm and cooperation from people of Idinthakarai, assuring that the venture being implemented in collaboration with Russia was safe.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- Report of a taxi driver who lends helping hand to patients in Mumbai
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog