Anti-Kudankulam stir `sponsored` from outside: Russia
New Delhi: Russia on Thursday said the protests against the Kudankulam nuclear power plant were "sponsored" and the NGOs from outside were "feeding" the organisations which are spearheading the stir.
"I think these (protests) are sponsored. They work in such a way that when money ends they stop and when they get another portion of money they resume their protests," Alexander M Kadakin, Russian Ambassador to India, said here on the protest against the nuclear project in Tamil Nadu which is being assisted by his country.
"Yes, there are NGOs from outside who are feeding these protest organisations. India is a democratic country, people are free to protest if they feel some danger is coming," he added.
Stressing that the Russian nuclear reactors, which would were being installed at Kudankulam nuclear plant, were safe, Kadakin said "it is the safest nuclear unit in the world which has been recognised by specialists and scientists in the West and the East."
Russia is helping India in setting up 9200 MW Kudankulam nuclear power plant in Tamil Nadu`s Tirunelveli district.
Construction has been delayed due to anti-nuclear protests by the locals and People`s Movement Against Nuclear Energy.
Asked about Indo-Russia defence deals, the Russian Ambassador said that contrary to other countries "we give India our best technology".
He said, "We are working on nuclear submarine, we are also working on fifth generation aircraft."
On India-Russia relations, he said they were better than ever before.
The Russian embassy today hosted a function to confer Russian Foreign Ministry`s sign of honour to veteran India diplomats for their contribution to international cooperation.
Three former diplomats MK Rasgotra, Chinmaya Gharekhan and Ronen Sen were honoured today on Russian Diplomatist Day.
The Russian Diplomatist Day is celebrated following a Presidential decree in 2002 to commemorate the founding of the Russian Diplomatic service in 1549.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!