Anti-nuke forum stages demo against KNPP
Tirunelveli (TN): An anti-nuclear forum spearheading the stir against Koodankulam Nuclear Power Plant on Thursday staged a demonstration in a coastal village near the site in protest
against moves to get it commissioned.
Organisers of the People`s Movement Against Nuclear Energy said the activists staged the demonstration at Chettikulam after coming in a procession from Perumanalpuram.
Both villages are about 5 km from the KNPP site.
PMANE convenor S P Udayakumar and heads of various
churches led the protestors.
The commissioning of the plant was earlier slated in
December 2011, but has been delayed after protests by locals,
who have been agitating since September last, demanding
scrapping of the Indo-Russian project, citing safety concerns
following the Fukushima disaster.
The previous three rounds of talks between the Central
experts committee and Tamil Nadu government panel set up to
break the impasse over the project, held on November 7, 18 and
December 15 failed to make any headway towards commissioning
of the first unit as locals were not satisfied with the
replies given by the expert group to their queries.
The fourth round meeting between the committee and panel
is planned to be held on January 31.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre