Anti-nuke forum stages demo against KNPP
Tirunelveli (TN): An anti-nuclear forum spearheading the stir against Koodankulam Nuclear Power Plant on Thursday staged a demonstration in a coastal village near the site in protest
against moves to get it commissioned.
Organisers of the People`s Movement Against Nuclear Energy said the activists staged the demonstration at Chettikulam after coming in a procession from Perumanalpuram.
Both villages are about 5 km from the KNPP site.
PMANE convenor S P Udayakumar and heads of various
churches led the protestors.
The commissioning of the plant was earlier slated in
December 2011, but has been delayed after protests by locals,
who have been agitating since September last, demanding
scrapping of the Indo-Russian project, citing safety concerns
following the Fukushima disaster.
The previous three rounds of talks between the Central
experts committee and Tamil Nadu government panel set up to
break the impasse over the project, held on November 7, 18 and
December 15 failed to make any headway towards commissioning
of the first unit as locals were not satisfied with the
replies given by the expert group to their queries.
The fourth round meeting between the committee and panel
is planned to be held on January 31.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living