Anti-nuke stir escalates Kudankulam project cost by Rs 1446 cr
New Delhi: The eight-month anti-Kudankulam agitation appears to have cost the state exchequer Rs 1,446 crore.
The government informed the Rajya Sabha that the expected completion cost of the Kudankulam Nuclear Power Project (KKNPP) Unit 1&2 will be Rs 17,270 crore, as against the original estimate of Rs 13,171 crore.
In December, the government had informed Parliament that the completion cost of the KKNPP 1&2 was Rs 15,824 crore of which Rs 14,122 crore had been spent till September 2011.
As per the original plan, the first unit was to be commissioned in December 2007, which was revised to mid-2010. This was further revised to September 2011 when anti-nuclear protests broke out in Kudankulam.
The first unit is now expected to be commissioned next month and the second unit in March next year.
Work on the nuclear power project came to a standstill for nearly eight months as anti-nuclear activists laid siege to the site disallowing engineers to enter the plant.
An agreement was reached with the protesters to allow 100 maintenance workers to enter the plant daily for carrying out maintenance work.
In reply to a written question in the Rajya Sabha, Minister of State in the PMO V Narayanasamy said the expected completion cost of KKNPP 1&2 was pegged at Rs 17,270 crore.
A back of the envelope calculation deducting Rs 15,824 crore spent till September last year from the revised expected completion cost of Rs 17,270 crore gives a figure of Rs 1,446 crore.
The NPCIL, which is building the nuclear plant in collaboration with Atomstroyexport of Russia, had claimed that it was losing Rs five crore per day due to the protests.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened