Arguments in Sankararaman murder case begin
Puducherry: Arguments by defence counsel in the Sankararaman murder case in which Kanchi Sankaracharya Jayendrara Saraswathi and his junior Vijayendra are the prime accused, began before a court Monday.
Counsels for Jayendrara and defence counsel for twelve other accused in the case presented their arguments before Principal District and Sessions Judge C S Murugan.
The Judge then adjourned further proceedings in the case to November 15 when arguments by lawyers for a few more accused would be presented.
Special Public Prosecutor N Devadoss said outside the court that he had already presented the arguments on behalf of the prosecution for three days from August 9 to 11.
Sankararaman, former employee of Varadarajaperumal temple in Tamil Nadu was allegedly murdered on the premises of the temple on September 3, 2004. The two seers have been charged under IPC sections of 120-B (conspiracy) and 302 (murder).
The trial was shifted from Tamil Nadu to Puducherry following a Supreme Court order following a petition filed by the Jayendrara in 2005.
A total of 189 prosecution witnesses were examined and cross examined in the case in the local court during the trial here between 2009 and 2011. Eighty seven of the total witnesses turned hostile during examination.
When the case came up before the local court today only eighteen of the 24 accused were present. The absentees included the two seers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog