Armed escort for cop who booked Alagiri
Madurai: Armed escort has been provided to
the police official, who booked M K Alagiri and others in
connection with an alleged assault on an election official
prior to April 13 Tamil Nadu Assembly polls.
Madaswamy, inspector of Melur Police station had
registered a case against Alagiri, City Corporation Deputy
Mayor P M Mannan and others in the wake of the attack
allegedly carried out by the Union Minister`s aides.
However, the police refused to give reasons for the
sudden action, except saying that Madurai Rural SP Asra Garg,
had ordered that the official be provided with armed escort.
The action follows a retraction by Melur tahsildhar M
Kalimuthu, who had initially alleged that he along with a
videographer, part of a flying squad, were assaulted by
Alagiri`s aides in the presence of the minister when they
videographed Alagiri`s visit to a temple in Keelavalavu in
However, Kalimuthu later accused the police of dictating
the complaint and said he was not assaulted.
Alagiri, son of Tamil Nadu Chief Minister M Karunanidhi,
and three of his associates had later moved the Madras High
Court seeking quashing of the assault case filed against them
on the basis of Kalimuthu`s complaint.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof