Armed escort for cop who booked Alagiri
Madurai: Armed escort has been provided to
the police official, who booked M K Alagiri and others in
connection with an alleged assault on an election official
prior to April 13 Tamil Nadu Assembly polls.
Madaswamy, inspector of Melur Police station had
registered a case against Alagiri, City Corporation Deputy
Mayor P M Mannan and others in the wake of the attack
allegedly carried out by the Union Minister`s aides.
However, the police refused to give reasons for the
sudden action, except saying that Madurai Rural SP Asra Garg,
had ordered that the official be provided with armed escort.
The action follows a retraction by Melur tahsildhar M
Kalimuthu, who had initially alleged that he along with a
videographer, part of a flying squad, were assaulted by
Alagiri`s aides in the presence of the minister when they
videographed Alagiri`s visit to a temple in Keelavalavu in
However, Kalimuthu later accused the police of dictating
the complaint and said he was not assaulted.
Alagiri, son of Tamil Nadu Chief Minister M Karunanidhi,
and three of his associates had later moved the Madras High
Court seeking quashing of the assault case filed against them
on the basis of Kalimuthu`s complaint.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Indrani Mukerjea's statement on suspected drug overdose recorded
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka