Around 75 % voting in Tamil Nadu Assembly bypoll
Chennai: Voting for the by-poll in Sankarankoil assembly constituency of Tamil Nadu`s Tirunelveli district came to an end on Sunday with around 75 percent of the voters casting their ballot.
The electoral fate of 13 contestants including six independents is now sealed in electronic voting machines (EVM) in the 242 polling booths in the constituency.
An Election Commission of India official said around 75 percent of the 206,087 voters (male 102,921, female 103,166) exercised their democratic rights.
The final voting percentage will be known after some time as there are still people waiting to cast their ballots, he said.
MDMK general secretary Vaiko cast his vote at Kalingapatti village.
Five major parties AIADMK, DMK, DMDK, the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) and MDMK are in the fray.
The bypoll was necessitated by the death of sitting member, AIADMK`s C. Karuppasamy, in October 2011 due to ill health.
The AIADMK has fielded V Muthuselvi, while DMK and DMDK have pitted J. Jawahar Suryakumar and K Muthukumar respectively against her.
MDMK which boycotted the assembly polls last year has fielded T. Sadan Thirumalaikumar while the BJP`s candidate is L. Murugan.
Counting of votes will begin at 8 am on Wednesday, said a poll official.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- West Bengal Board Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 announced
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh