Around Rs 59 lakh of `Hawala money` recovered
Coimbatore: Nearly Rs 59 lakh was seized from a person who got down here from a bus coming from Chennai in the wee hours of Tuesday.
Based on a tip-off, police kept vigil in the Thiruvallur Bus Stand and searched the baggage of 52-year old Abubacker and found the money, in the denomination of Rs 1,000, police said.
On interrogation, he said to have told police that a jeweller from Malappuram in Kerala had sent him to Chennai to collect the money and he was taking the money there. Suspecting this could be hawala transaction, the jeweller has been asked to come to the city for questioning.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding
- Islamic State trying to gain foothold in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir: Army
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Kapil Sharma shares pic with Salman Khan; ‘Comedy Nights...’ to go off air
- Wimbledon: Novak Djokovic, Maria Sharapova cruise into last 16