Attacks on fishermen: Karunanidhi seeks Centre`s intervention
Chennai: DMK president M Karunanidhi on Sunday sought the Centre`s intervention to end increasing incidents of apprehending of Indian fishermen by the Sri Lankan Navy and also their request to fish near the island nation for a select period due to dwindling resources.
"Every time such incidents happen, the state government takes up the matter with the Centre, which in turn writes to the Sri Lankan envoy to India or that government, but they should not think the job is over by writing such letters," he said.
He said during a meeting with Minister of State in PMO V Narayanasamy at Karaikal on Saturday, fishermen had requested that they be permitted to fish in Sri Lankan waters during select months.
"They had told him they had been fishing in Indian waters for the last two months, resulting in a decline in fish. They told him they are being attacked while proceeding to areas with larger resources and (therefore) asked for fishing rights in Sri Lankan areas during specific months.
"Without ignoring these requests as such, the Centre and state governments should consider them with due concern and take efforts to see how they can redress fishermen`s grievances," he said in a statement.
Karunanidhi referred to a slew of incidents reported in the recent past, including that of 20 fishermen from Rameswaram being taken into custody on Saturday by Sri Lankan naval personnel for allegedly trespassing into Lankan waters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- Salman Khan miffed with Huma Qureshi –Sohail Khan affair reports?