Attacks on TN fishermen not in Indian waters: Official
On board INS Satpura: A top Indian Navy official on Wednesday said there were no incidents of attacks on Tamil Nadu fishermen by Sri Lankan Navy in the country`s waters and asserted that adequate patrolling, including vigil by UAV, was being maintained in the Palk Bay.
"With my information, I can say these reports of Indian fishermen being attacked by Sri Lankan Navy did not happen within our waters," Commodore Amar K Mahadevan, Naval Officer In-charge (Tamil Nadu and Puducherry) told reporters onboard the ship on the occasion of Navy Day celebrations.
Replying to a query on the reports of recurring attacks on fishermen from Tamil Nadu by Sri Lankan Navy, he said, "It is not in our borders, it did not happen in this (Indian) side of International Maritime Boundary Line. I have never come across attacks on this side. There may be fishermen versions of the incident".
His comments come at a time when the fishermen have been complaining about attacks on them by Lankan Naval personnel also in Indian waters, an issue that has also been taken up Chief Minister Jayalalithaa with the Centre.
At least one Navy and one Coast Guard ship each would always be patrolling in the Palk Bay area, in addition to the unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs), the official said adding without Navy`s knowledge `none can attack our fishermen`.
Recalling his meeting with Lankan naval officials seven days ago on a regular six month meeting, he said, "We have raised these incidents with them. We are looking who are the outside players, if at all. We are at it."
Endorsing his views, Rear Admiral Atul Kumar Jain, Flag Officer Commanding-in-Chief of the Eastern Naval Command, said "These (reports) are not truly correct. Let me assure you that these incidents have not happened in Indian waters."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Aamir Khan's '3 Idiots' sequel on the cards? Here's what Rajkumar Hirani has to say!
- 'Nirbhaya' gang-rape: Convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail, admitted to hospital
- Iranian Navy in `unsafe` intercept of US destroyer: Defense official
- PM Narendra Modi condemns attack on Kabul`s American University
- Italy earthquake kills 159 as rescuers race to find survivors