Attacks on TN fishermen not in Indian waters: Official
On board INS Satpura: A top Indian Navy official on Wednesday said there were no incidents of attacks on Tamil Nadu fishermen by Sri Lankan Navy in the country`s waters and asserted that adequate patrolling, including vigil by UAV, was being maintained in the Palk Bay.
"With my information, I can say these reports of Indian fishermen being attacked by Sri Lankan Navy did not happen within our waters," Commodore Amar K Mahadevan, Naval Officer In-charge (Tamil Nadu and Puducherry) told reporters onboard the ship on the occasion of Navy Day celebrations.
Replying to a query on the reports of recurring attacks on fishermen from Tamil Nadu by Sri Lankan Navy, he said, "It is not in our borders, it did not happen in this (Indian) side of International Maritime Boundary Line. I have never come across attacks on this side. There may be fishermen versions of the incident".
His comments come at a time when the fishermen have been complaining about attacks on them by Lankan Naval personnel also in Indian waters, an issue that has also been taken up Chief Minister Jayalalithaa with the Centre.
At least one Navy and one Coast Guard ship each would always be patrolling in the Palk Bay area, in addition to the unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs), the official said adding without Navy`s knowledge `none can attack our fishermen`.
Recalling his meeting with Lankan naval officials seven days ago on a regular six month meeting, he said, "We have raised these incidents with them. We are looking who are the outside players, if at all. We are at it."
Endorsing his views, Rear Admiral Atul Kumar Jain, Flag Officer Commanding-in-Chief of the Eastern Naval Command, said "These (reports) are not truly correct. Let me assure you that these incidents have not happened in Indian waters."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'