Azhiyar dam one foot short of reaching 120 feet capacity
Coimbatore: With Azhiyar Dam near Pollachi in the district being just one foot short of reaching its full capacity of 120 feet and due to surplus water release, the adminstration today sounded a flood alert in nearby villages.
People of Chakrapatti, Azhiyar Nagar, Amrampalayam and nearby villgers were asked to move to safer places, as nearly 1,000 cusecs was being released from the dam, official sources said.
The people have also been advised not to venture in the river as the flow of water would be heavy and there would be strong undercurrents, they said.
Bhavani river near Mettupalayam in Coimbatore district and Amaravathi in Udumalpet in Tirupur district are already in spate and pepole have been asked to take precautionary steps and move to higher locales.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Dwayne Bravo all set to make singing debut in Bollywood! - Details inside
- Samsung Galaxy Note 7 with 6GB RAM, 128GB storage likely to be launched today
- Subramanian Swamy's piece of advice to Rahul Gandhi - Quit politics to save Congress future
- Strong Indo-US ties to strengthen both economies: White House
- First look of Emraan Hashmi's maiden home production 'Captain Nawab' out! - Pic inside