Azhiyar dam one foot short of reaching 120 feet capacity
Coimbatore: With Azhiyar Dam near Pollachi in the district being just one foot short of reaching its full capacity of 120 feet and due to surplus water release, the adminstration today sounded a flood alert in nearby villages.
People of Chakrapatti, Azhiyar Nagar, Amrampalayam and nearby villgers were asked to move to safer places, as nearly 1,000 cusecs was being released from the dam, official sources said.
The people have also been advised not to venture in the river as the flow of water would be heavy and there would be strong undercurrents, they said.
Bhavani river near Mettupalayam in Coimbatore district and Amaravathi in Udumalpet in Tirupur district are already in spate and pepole have been asked to take precautionary steps and move to higher locales.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When will Indian roads become free from potholes and open manholes? - Part II
- DNA: Analysis of open manholes and huge pits claiming lives in India
- DNA: Analysis of open manholes and huge pits claiming lives in India - Part II
- DNA: Analysis of people's empathy towards terrorists in Kashmir
- DNA: Today in History | June 28, 2016