Azhiyar dam one foot short of reaching 120 feet capacity
Coimbatore: With Azhiyar Dam near Pollachi in the district being just one foot short of reaching its full capacity of 120 feet and due to surplus water release, the adminstration today sounded a flood alert in nearby villages.
People of Chakrapatti, Azhiyar Nagar, Amrampalayam and nearby villgers were asked to move to safer places, as nearly 1,000 cusecs was being released from the dam, official sources said.
The people have also been advised not to venture in the river as the flow of water would be heavy and there would be strong undercurrents, they said.
Bhavani river near Mettupalayam in Coimbatore district and Amaravathi in Udumalpet in Tirupur district are already in spate and pepole have been asked to take precautionary steps and move to higher locales.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets