Azhiyar dam one foot short of reaching 120 feet capacity
Coimbatore: With Azhiyar Dam near Pollachi in the district being just one foot short of reaching its full capacity of 120 feet and due to surplus water release, the adminstration today sounded a flood alert in nearby villages.
People of Chakrapatti, Azhiyar Nagar, Amrampalayam and nearby villgers were asked to move to safer places, as nearly 1,000 cusecs was being released from the dam, official sources said.
The people have also been advised not to venture in the river as the flow of water would be heavy and there would be strong undercurrents, they said.
Bhavani river near Mettupalayam in Coimbatore district and Amaravathi in Udumalpet in Tirupur district are already in spate and pepole have been asked to take precautionary steps and move to higher locales.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Watch 15 reports from 15 cities
- Sheena murder case: Unfolding deceit, lies and murder!
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Osama bin Laden is alive, staying in Bahamas, claims Edward Snowden