Baalu does not rule out reviewing decision to pull out
Chennai: Senior DMK leader TR Baalu
Saturday night indicated his party could review its decision to pull
its ministers out of the Union Cabinet if the Congress relents
on its stand over sharing of seats in the upcoming Assembly
polls in Tamil Nadu.
Baalu also said the DMK`s six Union ministers will hand
over the resignations only after a meeting with Prime Minister
Manmohan Singh and that there is no move to fax their
resignations right away.
"Definitely we will have a discussion if they (Congress)
reconsider. If Congress agrees for 60 seats we will reconsider
out decision (to pull out of Cabinet)," Baalu told reporters.
DMK supremo and Chief Minister M Karunanidhi in a
post-midnight statement said it was agreed that Congress will
be given 60 seats. He also said the Congress demand for the
constituencies of its choice was also "highly unfair and
improper." Congress is said to be insisting for 63 seats. The
strength of the Tamil Nadu Assembly is 234.
Baalu made it clear that the withdrawal of support
stemmed only from problems over "seat sharing" and had nothing
to do with the 2G Spectrum scam in which senior DMK leader and
former telecom minister A Raja is allegedly involved.
He also said that the decision taken at the meeting of
the party`s high powered committee has also been communicated
to Congress president Sonia Gandhi`s political secretary Ahmed
Patel and Defence Minister A K Antony.
Asked whether it was the end of the road for the
seven-year-old DMK-Congress alliance, Baalu replied in the
"We are all friends. We do not see the end of the road.
Though we have withdrawn ministers our friendship will
continue forever." he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof