Baby elephant falls into trench
Erode (TN): A baby elephant fell into a trench dug for laying a pipeline in Kadambur forest area in the district but was rescued after five hours, forest officials said on Monday.
The two-year-old calf was roaming with its mother yesterday when it fell into the four-feet-deep trench dug by a farmer.
The mother tried to rescue its baby but in vain. Villagers tried to chase away the elephant but it advanced menacingly towards them and they fled.
Forest officials then managed to chase away the mother and started rescue operations by using an earth-mover. After struggling for two hours, the baby elephant was pulled out from the pit, officials said.
The officials provided water and fruits to the calf as it was too weak to walk. They also provided glucose water.
Officials said efforts would be made to sent it to the forest and reunite it with the mother.
Meanwhile, the body of a 27-year-old woman was found in the Punjai Puliampatty forest area, yesterday.
Forest officials said about three days ago, she entered the forest to collect forest produce but was trampled to death by an elephant.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Gurmehar Kaur controversy: Twitter turns into battleground after Virender Sehwag trolls Kargil martyr's daughter
- WATCH: Chris Gayle hits Saeed Ajmal with three huge back-to-back sixes in PSL