Baby elephant falls into trench
Erode (TN): A baby elephant fell into a trench dug for laying a pipeline in Kadambur forest area in the district but was rescued after five hours, forest officials said on Monday.
The two-year-old calf was roaming with its mother yesterday when it fell into the four-feet-deep trench dug by a farmer.
The mother tried to rescue its baby but in vain. Villagers tried to chase away the elephant but it advanced menacingly towards them and they fled.
Forest officials then managed to chase away the mother and started rescue operations by using an earth-mover. After struggling for two hours, the baby elephant was pulled out from the pit, officials said.
The officials provided water and fruits to the calf as it was too weak to walk. They also provided glucose water.
Officials said efforts would be made to sent it to the forest and reunite it with the mother.
Meanwhile, the body of a 27-year-old woman was found in the Punjai Puliampatty forest area, yesterday.
Forest officials said about three days ago, she entered the forest to collect forest produce but was trampled to death by an elephant.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I know why Indrani Mukherjea murdered my sister Sheena: Mikhail Bora
- OROP issue: With no breakthrough in sight, Army veterans may meet PM Narendra Modi today
- Sheena Bora murder case: All that we know about Indrani Mukherjea
- Pregnant teen buried alive, wakes up in coffin
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukherjea's former husband, Sanjeev Khanna, arrested by Mumbai Police