Bangladeshi man remanded to judicial custody
Chennai: A Bangladeshi national detained after he allegedly tried to enter the Ennore Port here by swimming was today formally arrested and remanded to judicial custody even as police ruled out `for now` possibility of his links with any fundamentalist group.
Charges under the Passport Act has been slapped against the 25-year old Alam, nabbed when he was found swimming close to the Ennore Port`s wharf area late on May 10, a senior police official said.
He was produced before a court in Ponneri, remanded to judicial custody and lodged in Puzhal Central Prison.
He had sneaked into India through the West Bengal border "seeking employment."
Suspicion about the possibility of his links with certain fundamentalists groups in Tamil Nadu or elsewhere had been ruled out "for now" after sustained investigations, the official said.
"He is unable to speak coherently even in his mother tongue Bengali. He does not know any other language. He appears to be mentally disturbed," the official added.
Investigations also indicate that several persons like him "preferred" to sneak into south Indian states as they could easily pass off as one from a north Indian state or West Bengal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- IT raids Delhi's Axis bank branch, finds Rs 100 cr deposited in 44 fake accounts
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- Kapil Sharma is sweating it out! See pics
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional