Bangladeshi man remanded to judicial custody
Chennai: A Bangladeshi national detained after he allegedly tried to enter the Ennore Port here by swimming was today formally arrested and remanded to judicial custody even as police ruled out `for now` possibility of his links with any fundamentalist group.
Charges under the Passport Act has been slapped against the 25-year old Alam, nabbed when he was found swimming close to the Ennore Port`s wharf area late on May 10, a senior police official said.
He was produced before a court in Ponneri, remanded to judicial custody and lodged in Puzhal Central Prison.
He had sneaked into India through the West Bengal border "seeking employment."
Suspicion about the possibility of his links with certain fundamentalists groups in Tamil Nadu or elsewhere had been ruled out "for now" after sustained investigations, the official said.
"He is unable to speak coherently even in his mother tongue Bengali. He does not know any other language. He appears to be mentally disturbed," the official added.
Investigations also indicate that several persons like him "preferred" to sneak into south Indian states as they could easily pass off as one from a north Indian state or West Bengal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan - Part II
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan - Part III
- Hafiz Saeed warns of jihad to free Pak rivers from India
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur