Bangladeshi man remanded to judicial custody
Chennai: A Bangladeshi national detained after he allegedly tried to enter the Ennore Port here by swimming was today formally arrested and remanded to judicial custody even as police ruled out `for now` possibility of his links with any fundamentalist group.
Charges under the Passport Act has been slapped against the 25-year old Alam, nabbed when he was found swimming close to the Ennore Port`s wharf area late on May 10, a senior police official said.
He was produced before a court in Ponneri, remanded to judicial custody and lodged in Puzhal Central Prison.
He had sneaked into India through the West Bengal border "seeking employment."
Suspicion about the possibility of his links with certain fundamentalists groups in Tamil Nadu or elsewhere had been ruled out "for now" after sustained investigations, the official said.
"He is unable to speak coherently even in his mother tongue Bengali. He does not know any other language. He appears to be mentally disturbed," the official added.
Investigations also indicate that several persons like him "preferred" to sneak into south Indian states as they could easily pass off as one from a north Indian state or West Bengal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Sheena Bora murder: DNA sample to reveal the truth
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Sheena murder case: Villager helps locate spot where body was buried