Bangladeshi man remanded to judicial custody
Chennai: A Bangladeshi national detained after he allegedly tried to enter the Ennore Port here by swimming was today formally arrested and remanded to judicial custody even as police ruled out `for now` possibility of his links with any fundamentalist group.
Charges under the Passport Act has been slapped against the 25-year old Alam, nabbed when he was found swimming close to the Ennore Port`s wharf area late on May 10, a senior police official said.
He was produced before a court in Ponneri, remanded to judicial custody and lodged in Puzhal Central Prison.
He had sneaked into India through the West Bengal border "seeking employment."
Suspicion about the possibility of his links with certain fundamentalists groups in Tamil Nadu or elsewhere had been ruled out "for now" after sustained investigations, the official said.
"He is unable to speak coherently even in his mother tongue Bengali. He does not know any other language. He appears to be mentally disturbed," the official added.
Investigations also indicate that several persons like him "preferred" to sneak into south Indian states as they could easily pass off as one from a north Indian state or West Bengal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- J&K: Teams named after militants in cricket tournament
- Laser walls activated along Indo-Pak border to keep vigil against terrorists
- Haji Ali Dargah row: Trupti Desai wants support of Aamir, Salman, SRK
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- Wow! KFC India to replace plastic packaging with edible bowls!
- UN blacklists Indian-flagged cargo vessel carrying Libyan oil
- One minute of intense exercise can help you stay fit!
- Don't refer Bhagat Singh, Chandra Shekhar Azad as terrorists: HRD Ministry to DU
- Navjot Singh Sidhu takes oath as Rajya Sabha member – SEE PICS