Bangladeshi man tries to sneak into port, nabbed
Chennai: A Bangladeshi national has been detained after he allegedly tried to enter Ennore Port by swimming to the wharf area, police said on Sunday.
The man, identified as Alam, was nabbed when he was swimming close to the wharf late last night.
The incident, coming 10 days after the Chennai twin blasts on a train, which killed one person and injured 14 others, has kept police on tenterhooks.
A senior police official privy to the probe told that preliminary investigations revealed he had sneaked into India through the West Bengal border, seeking employment.
It is not clear how he reached Chennai, why he tried to enter Ennore Port without permission and at such an odd hour. Ennore port, now renamed Kamarajar Port, is the third major port of Tamil Nadu.
"He could speak only Bengali and we are questioning him with the help of officials who know the language," the official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!