Bangladeshi man tries to sneak into port, nabbed
Chennai: A Bangladeshi national has been detained after he allegedly tried to enter Ennore Port by swimming to the wharf area, police said on Sunday.
The man, identified as Alam, was nabbed when he was swimming close to the wharf late last night.
The incident, coming 10 days after the Chennai twin blasts on a train, which killed one person and injured 14 others, has kept police on tenterhooks.
A senior police official privy to the probe told that preliminary investigations revealed he had sneaked into India through the West Bengal border, seeking employment.
It is not clear how he reached Chennai, why he tried to enter Ennore Port without permission and at such an odd hour. Ennore port, now renamed Kamarajar Port, is the third major port of Tamil Nadu.
"He could speak only Bengali and we are questioning him with the help of officials who know the language," the official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA : When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism?
- Drunk girl assaults Mumbai police in Worli
- Arun Jaitley upset with Subramaniam Swami's Twitter attack
- Bombay HC to pronounce verdict on entry of woman to Haji Ali Dargah today
- DNA: When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism? - Part II
- Islamic State bombings in southern Yemen kill 38
- UK pensions minister Crabb considering bid to succeed PM Cameron: Report
- Special panel on India's NSG membership bid? We're not aware, says China
- Ruby Rai, Bihar Class 12 topper now under arrest for cheating, says she never wanted to top the exam
- Euro 2016: Iceland stun England in one of greatest ever shocks