Bangladeshi man tries to sneak into port, nabbed
Chennai: A Bangladeshi national has been detained after he allegedly tried to enter Ennore Port by swimming to the wharf area, police said on Sunday.
The man, identified as Alam, was nabbed when he was swimming close to the wharf late last night.
The incident, coming 10 days after the Chennai twin blasts on a train, which killed one person and injured 14 others, has kept police on tenterhooks.
A senior police official privy to the probe told that preliminary investigations revealed he had sneaked into India through the West Bengal border, seeking employment.
It is not clear how he reached Chennai, why he tried to enter Ennore Port without permission and at such an odd hour. Ennore port, now renamed Kamarajar Port, is the third major port of Tamil Nadu.
"He could speak only Bengali and we are questioning him with the help of officials who know the language," the official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown