Bank official, others convicted in fraud case in TN
Chennai: A CBI court on Tuesday convicted a Senior Manager of Indian Overseas Bank and three others in a bank fraud case leading to a loss of Rs 30.8 lakhs to institution.
CBI has registered a case in 2002 against the bank official and four others on the allegations that during 1996-2002 they had entered into a criminal conspiracy to cheat the public sector bank at Neyveli, a CBI release said.
The bank official by abusing his position "dishonestly and fraudulently" allowed excess withdrawals from the cash credit account of one of the accused who owned a construction firm, it said.
During the trial, one of the accused died and the charges against him were abated.
Additional Special Judge for CBI cases E M K S Siddharthar sentenced two to undergo rigorous imprisonment of three years and two others to two years and imposed a fine of Rs 27 lakh on them. Out of the total fine, Rs 26 lakh was to be remitted to the bank, the court said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'