Belgium to open consulate in Chennai next year
Chennai: Belgium will set up its second consulate in the country here next year, Belgium Consul General Karl Van den Bossche has said.
"We are considering to set up a Consulate office here in Chennai. It is in the pipeline... Our Deputy Prime Minister and Minister for Foreign Affairs Didier Reynders is very concerned in opening it up", he said.
The member of the European Union has an Embassy in New Delhi and its one consulate office in Mumbai.
One of the reasons for setting up the second consulate office in Chennai was the Mumbai consulate was handling visa applications and related enquiries from several states, he said.
He said during his visit to India next year, Belgium Crown Prince Philippe is expected to inaugurate the Consulate office in Chennai.
Noting that 80 per cent of trade volume between Belgium and India constitute "diamonds", he said the current two-way trade between the two countries stands at USD 15 billion.
Inviting Indian entrepreneurs and corporates to establish footprint in his country, he said there were about 60 Indian companies operating in Belgium while it was 120 Belgium companies having presence in India.
He pointed out that the prevailing global economic crisis was an opportunity for an Indian company to establish its operation there.
"The market sentiment may be dull. But it is a systematic crisis. The economy will soon pickup. Be there before it (economic) picks up".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- President Pranab Mukherjee gives nod to re-promulgation of Land Acquisition Ordinance
- PM Modi's 'Mann Ki Baat' 8th edition: As it happened
- IMD predicts thundershowers in Delhi, Punjab and UP between June 1-3
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj