Madurai: The Madras High Court bench has ordered the Tamil Nadu Electricity Board to pay Rs 4.25 lakh compensation to the widow of a shepherd, who was electrocuted recently when he touched a fence over which a snapped live wire had fallen while trying to save his goat.
Justice KK Sasidharan said the Board had not denied the fact that wire had snapped and fallen on the fence.
On the TNEB`s contention that the wire had snapped and fallen due to heavy wind and it was an act of God, the Judge said "The EB cannot escape its responsibility by blaming God."
Though the Medical report stated that the shepherd died of a heart attack, the Board should see the reason (shock caused by the wire) for his heart attack, the judge said.
He directed the TNEB to pay the woman a compensation of Rs 4.25 lakh with nine per cent interest within two months.
The 24-year-old woman, who has two children, contended that she was entitled for the compensation as it was the Board`s `indifference` in maintenance that had led to the snapping of the wire.
She said requests to officials to pay her compensation as her husband was the sole bread winner had gone in vain.