Bench pulls up Addnl Home Secy for delay in compensation delivery
Madurai: Madras High Court Bench has pulled up the Tamil Nadu Additional Home Secretary for delay in settling the compensation given by an estate company in Malaysia to a woman, whose husband died of injuries in an accident in the country in 2011, and sought to know why costs should not be imposed on him.
The Bench also issued notice to the AHM, Indian High Commissioner in Malaysia and Tirunelveli District Collector.
Admitting a petition filed by Maheswari (24), Justice T Raja criticised the AHM for delaying the settlement and ordered issue of notice to him and the two other officials.
The woman submitted that her injured husband was sent back to India from Malaysia on March 5, 2011 and died without responding to treatment at a hospital on December 4, 2012.
Meanwhile, the company sent him a compensation of US$ 9214.22 (Rs 5.71 lakh) on June 7, 2012. After a 43-day delay, the High commissioner of India in Malaysia on July 20 sent the demand draft to the AHM for being handed over to the man.
There was another 67-day delay when the home secretary sent the DD to the Tirunveli Collector on September 26 2012. Her husband got the DD on October 2012. Though it was deposited at a bank at Sivakasi at once, they forwarded it to their foreign sector in Tuticorin. Meanwhile, her husband died.
On January 8, the bank returned the DD stating it had expired on September 6.
The woman contended she could not receive the compensation due to delay on the part of the High Commissioner in Malaysia and the Additional Home Secretary.
She submitted she was the mother of two minor children and had spent all her money on treating her husband. As she could not get the compensation on time, she was left without funds and requested the court to intervene and get her the amount.
The Judge pulled up the AHM for being indifferent and delaying the dispatch of the DD and then ordered notice to all the officials.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu