Bench quashes detention order under NSA
Madurai: The Madras High court has quashed a detention order under stringent NSA against 10 persons who hurled explosives at a car, killing seven persons and injuring 13 others who were returning from Pasumpon Muthuramalinga Thevar Guru Pooja festival on October 30, 2012.
The madurai bench comprising Justices S Rajeswaran and T Mathivanan said the grounds for detention were vague and government had not produced material to prove they would come out on bail. Though it had been contended that the others involved in similar cases had come out on bail, the relevant material had not been produced before the court.
Petitioner Karthick contended he had not moved any bail application and there was no imminent possibility of his release in the near future.
He said detention authorities had taken into consideration a remote incident reported on November 9, 2011 when seven Dalits were killed in firing at Paramakudi and were trying to link them as if the attack was one of revenge.
But they had not produced any material to support the contention.
The counsel contended that his clients had deen detained under National Security Act, but that authorities had not produced any material to attract detention under NSA. Instead, they said the petitioners had acted in a manner prejudicial to maintenance of public peace and order.
If they felt there was a necessity to detain his clients to prevent them from indulging in such acitivities prejudicial to maintainance of public order, then it should not have attracted NSA, he said.
Police had registered cases against 12 persons for hurling explosives under various IPC sections including IPC 302 (murder) etc, explosives substance act etc.
Seven persons were killed and 13 were injured in the incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?