Bharat Bandh: Partial response in Tamil Nadu
Chennai: The nation-wide shutdown called by the Bhartiya Janata Party (BJP) and the Left parties on Thursday to protest the recent hike in petrol prices evoked a partial response in Tamil Nadu, police said.
Public transport buses and auto-rickshaws were plying as usual and shops remained open in most parts of the state.
However, five buses were damaged and some shops were closed down by protestors in Kanyakumari, around 650 km from here, according to police.
In Coimbatore, around 500 km from here, some shops were shut down as the BJP has a good support in the district.
Two buses were damaged by protestors in Cuddalore district, around 200 km from here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- Islamic State supporters hail deadly Munich shooting on social media
- 1st Test, Day 2 Report: Kohli double ton, Ashwin century put India in charge against West Indies
- Silicon Valley leads avalanche of quarterly reports
- UN backs plan to rid Libya of chemical weapons
- Gunmen kill at least eight in Munich shopping mall, shooters on the run