Bharat Bandh: Partial response in Tamil Nadu
Chennai: The nation-wide shutdown called by the Bhartiya Janata Party (BJP) and the Left parties on Thursday to protest the recent hike in petrol prices evoked a partial response in Tamil Nadu, police said.
Public transport buses and auto-rickshaws were plying as usual and shops remained open in most parts of the state.
However, five buses were damaged and some shops were closed down by protestors in Kanyakumari, around 650 km from here, according to police.
In Coimbatore, around 500 km from here, some shops were shut down as the BJP has a good support in the district.
Two buses were damaged by protestors in Cuddalore district, around 200 km from here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Venus-Jupiter conjunction on August 27: Viewing tips! (Watch)
- Staying at budget hotels in Delhi to soon become cheaper
- Sonakshi Sinha looks dayum fresh after 'Akira' promotions! Picture proof
- Delhi University releases seventh cut-off list, admission process begins today
- Man dies in fire in Delhi's Hauz Khas